However many centuries later Fisherman would succeed in reviving the Nuckelavee and used it to enforce his will upon Hildaland once again, prompting the events of the "Message In A Bottle" storyarc.
Although not revealed until much later the Nuckelavee's origin lays with Balor and the Fomori - having once been the "pet" of the now degenerated pantheon but has since been abandoned to the oceans.
The Nuckelavee is a monstrous sea-demon with a number of incredible abilities and only one known weakness.
- Tidal-Command (the Nuckelavee can command the ocean with such frightening potency that it can sink entire islands under the waves)
- Pestilent-Breath (the Nuckelavee can breath a cloud of pestilence that withers plant-life, strikes livestock dead and inflicts disease upon mortals)
- Regeneration (the Nuckelavee regenerates continually from any wound inflicted upon it)
- Superhuman Strength (the Nuckelavee is a monstrous being with incredible strength, capable of uprooting boulders, trees and other large objects with ease)
- Storm Summoning (the Nuckelavee can summon powerful storms that encompass large areas of land)
- Revival (if the Nuckelavee is ever defeated it can be revived from the dead by those who know the proper rituals)
Note: The Nuckelavee is a very real creature of Orkney folklore - the monster that appears in my stories is a homage, for more information on the myth itself feel free to search the internet (it is quite fascinating, at least to me)